Tuesday, July 31, 2012

That Weird Part of YouTube


My Journey to “That Weird Part of YouTube”


According to the accredited Urban Dictionary, The weird part of YouTube is “typically an area full of video irrelevant to what you were originally watching.” Usually, these blotches of video “would normally go untouched, but become popular when a significant amount of people follow” a chain of somewhat “related videos” into the area deemed “the weird part of YouTube.”
Today, I am going to take a trip down the yellow tube road into the land called, “Weird Part of YouTube” until I reach my destination with one of the top comments exclaiming how they unintentionally got to the weird part of YouTube. I start my journey on my YouTube home screen. I recently watched some boxing videos of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, so one of my recommended videos is titled, “Mayweather Jr. vs. Mayweather Sr. 24/7”. I click.
This video shows Mayweather Jr. and Mayweather Sr. in a verbal bout, which exhibits their unkindled relationship. Fortunately, it’s edited. Now, on the right side of the YouTube screen are suggested videos- seemingly related to the current one. On this particular Mayweather video, one of the more interesting suggested video links is titled, “When victims fight back.” Let’s watch.
In the middle of watching this video, I get the point, so I start scrolling along the right side of the suggested videos, and I see one that catches my eye- “douchebag bully bag gets taught a lesson”. That was fun.
Now, after this video, my procrastination instinct kicks in, and I start clicking and clicking. For the next video, I go to “Telling off a tailgater”, then “McDonalds refuses food or refund, police arrive, forces McD's to give food”, to “Cop Tricked Into Thinking Prison Escapee is a Jogger”, following “I Didn't Know She Was 16 (The Steve Wilkos Show)”, to “Quiet Kid Learns to Cope in Prison”, to “Pyscho Inmate on a Come Down”, and, finally to “Extraordinary People The Girl With A New Face part 1”. On this last video, I finally see one of the top comments read, “I went from Funny Videos to this! WTF?” Close enough.
So, there it is. I went from “Mayweather Jr. vs. Mayweather Sr. 24/7” to “Extraordinary People The Girl With A New Face part 1.” Although others have made their inadvertent journey to the “Weird Part of YouTube” via less videos, and in a shorter amount of time, my journey was undoubtedly no-less weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment