Thursday, July 12, 2012

Online Marketing

Online Marketing


I've worked in the Video Production industry for almost a decade. But since it's the year 2012 I'm still surprised how companies are still hesitant to advertise online. The people I've noticed to more likely to advertise online are the younger generation who grew up with the technology that we live in today. The older generations that still own businesses are still holding back in their online presence. I've noticed this when working closely with companies in their Marketing Department. I've been hired by multiple companies to come into their business and figure out strategies to help them bring in more customers. I noticed immediately that it was the older generation that was still hesitant in branching out into focusing their advertising dollars into the Internet rather than Mass Media. Now that this has happened on more than one occasion I couldn't help but become fascinated with why the older generation still had the mindset of marketing this way. Somehow they still think that  Mass Media works better than online advertising or Social Media so they put all of their eggs in one basket and don't even spend money Online at all. Now this doesn't mean that Mass Media doesn't work at all, I just think that if you want your company to look more reliable you have to have a strong Internet presence whether it's through social media, video marketing, or SEO (Search Engine Optimization). I think this because what one of the first things someone does when you hear about a company? They google it!

I experience how important this was when I went to go do a shoot for a Gastric Bypass Surgeon in the area. Upon arriving to the shoot, I was told that I was going to do a series of interviews where I interviewed testimonials from the clients that they wanted featured on the video. I thought that this was fine. I actually was interested what they had to say, but I was unaware of how interested I was about to get. When I did my first interview I came into a room where they usually did informational speaking what what to expect during the surgery. I met a gentlemen who was in his mid to late 50's, and hispanic. I asked what he did for a living to try and make him comfortable with small talk and he told me that he was a doctor. The surprised me because he was about to do a testimonial for another doctor. Now they probably weren't the same kind of doctor and they didn't live in the same city so they weren't really competitors but it made me more intrigued on what he was going to say because it really showed how much trust he had put into the doctor he was about to do a testimonial for. Once I set up the camera equipment and fixed the lighting like usual, we were ready to go. Now this happened a while back so I don't remember all the questions he was asked but I remember one. A really important one at that! The question was,"What made you want to choose this doctor to do your procedure?" and his response amazed me. Not only did it amaze me but it really made me realize how important your online presence meant. He said,"Well, when I realized that I needed to do this surgery, I started doing some research online. I didn't want to use a doctor in my city so I thought I would look for one in Houston. And the more and more I looked and did my research his name kept appearing in the search engine. It got to where I even looked in other nearby cities and his name still appeared in the top searches as one of the most respected and trusted doctor for the procedure I needed." Now usually before this moment I didn't really give it much thought because it was so simple. It made me reflect on what made me trust someone for a product that I was searching for online and it all made sense. The more and more you see the same site or product reappearing during  your search, you immediately think that it must be good and worth it if you looked more into it. No matter what the company, person, product, etc.

So after I shot the video I went back home to do the editing and final production. Once I was done, I looked more into how I could make my company more visible to online viewers. Not only with my website but with everything such as videos, blogs, pictures, social media, etc. And over the years I've found ways to make it happen. The one thing that has gotten difficult is the amount of time that needs to be involved to make it happen in all aspects of online marketing. So I focused on what I knew best, which was Video Marketing. But can you imagine how it must be for the companies that hire a team of people to make sure they are at the top of the list for every aspect? It must be insane for those companies, in a good way that is.

So now I ask, why is it that some people are still hesitant in focusing their marketing online?

website:
www.dietproductions.com
Stephen Benavides
Matt Topolski

No comments:

Post a Comment